What is professional mentoring & coaching?
In several roles I play as your mentor/coach (see below), I facilitate your process of discovery, growth and evolution through dialogue and activities. I'll ask you questions or facilitate exercises that will help you suss out evolving alternatives to what's not working for you. Coaching assumes you are at a point in your life where you are wanting and ready to transform, and you are willing to work, focus, solve, create and evolve.
What a mentor/coach IS
- Facilitator: My main job is to facilitate your process: Where are you now, where do you want to go and what's the next step.
- Illuminator: I'll help you uncover your blind spots. So that you can more clearly see what's been getting in your way.
- Focuser: Are you having trouble seeing the forest from the trees or running into trees while daydreaming about the forest? I'll assist you in keeping focused: macro, micro or middle.
- Re-framer: Do you have stories about why you can't do something? Sometimes all it takes is seeing the current situation in a different way to allow the next thing to happen.
- Balancer: Sometimes you might need a direct push and sometimes you might need to be gently nurtured. It's my job to pay attention to the kinds of things you might need to feel balanced enough to take the next step.
What a mentor/coach Is NOT
Mentoring/coaching is not psychotherapy or psychological counseling. Though we will talk about various aspects of your life and situation, I will steer us clear of going too deep into things that would be better served by a professional relationship with a therapist or similar. Additionally, coaching is not about "fixing" you or "making" you do anything. I assume you are a mature, responsible person that is ready to create change and do good, and you are seeking me out to assist you with your self-emanating process.
So what's this "do good in the world" stuff about anyway?
So here's the deal. I won't coach just anyone who wants to do anything. If your goal is to figure out how to make a bunch of money to keep to yourself or to screw someone over, I'm not the guy to help you figure that out. But if you want to do something... anything... in your immediate world or the world at large, that is good, beneficial, helpful, etc., I can assist with your process.
Defining "good": You might be thinking, "What is "good"? That's subjective, right?" It's true. "Good" is subjective, and what I mean when I say "good" is: What does "good" mean to you? You define what it is to be helpful, make a positive impact and do something that makes the world a better place. If doing good is your thing, I can help you get there.
"Small" & "Big": You might also be thinking, "I don't have some big idea to change the world. I just want do good in my own life. Am I someone you want to work with?" Absolutely! I believe that good happens equally through how we live our day to day lives and how we share our unique talents and gifts with the world. If we have a big, world-changing idea, but we're a jerk, I think we do the world a disservice, and similarly, if we are a loving, compassionate person, but don't share that with anyone, we also do the world a disservice. The point is: If you goal is "big" or "small" and your intention is good, I'd like to work with you.
OK. I'm ready to get started. How does it work?
I do a free initial, full length session. So we can see if we'd like to work together. To start the process, go to the fees/policies page. Please be sure to read the policies, confidentiality pledge and disclaimer.